Enable Basic Authetincation

Hello,

We are currently using ElasticSearch 2.4.1 running on Docker and are evaluating using SearchGuard to enable just basic authentication secure ES. I installed the SG plugin version 2.4.1.12 using the following command

bin/plugin install -b com.floragunn/search-guard-2/2.4.1.12

After installation of the above plugin, I tried to restart ES but its throwing an error

Exception in thread “main” ElasticsearchException[Failed to load plugin class [com.floragunn.searchguard.SearchGuardPlugin]]; nested: InvocationTargetException; nested: IllegalStateException[SearchGuardSSLPlugin must be be installed];
Likely root cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException: SearchGuardSSLPlugin must be be installed

My question here is, even though my requirement is just to enable basic authentication for ES, do I have to install SSL plugin? If no is there a way to get rid of this error? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Yes, in SG 2.x TLS (for TLS encryption) and Authentication (e.g. for basic auth) are split in two plugins, and you need to install both.

Please refer to the installation instructions in the documentation:

If you’re running Elasticsearch 2.x:

For Search Guard 2, you need to install Search Guard SSL first and after that Search Guard. Change to the directory of your Elasticsearch installation and type:

bin/plugin install -b com.floragunn/search-guard-ssl/2.4.5.21
bin/plugin install -b com.floragunn/search-guard-2/2.4.5.14

The most recent versions for yor ES version can be found on this page:

···

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 9:56:14 PM UTC+2, Shashank Aithala wrote:

Hello,

We are currently using ElasticSearch 2.4.1 running on Docker and are evaluating using SearchGuard to enable just basic authentication secure ES. I installed the SG plugin version 2.4.1.12 using the following command

bin/plugin install -b com.floragunn/search-guard-2/2.4.1.12

After installation of the above plugin, I tried to restart ES but its throwing an error

Exception in thread “main” ElasticsearchException[Failed to load plugin class [com.floragunn.searchguard.SearchGuardPlugin]]; nested: InvocationTargetException; nested: IllegalStateException[SearchGuardSSLPlugin must be be installed];
Likely root cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException: SearchGuardSSLPlugin must be be installed

My question here is, even though my requirement is just to enable basic authentication for ES, do I have to install SSL plugin? If no is there a way to get rid of this error? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks