Usecase: Using kibana plugin as standalone

Hello,

I would like to use this plugin as standalone so independent from the elasticsearch plugin. I would be pretty free in terms of authentication type. Is this possible? A workaround would also be okay like writing files and pretending the plugin was installed. Version is 5.6.7.

Thank you very much

This is not really feasible, although it is technically possible. You would need to re-implement all used endpoints in the routes.js files and mimick the JSONs usually returned by Search Guard. Why would you want to run it without Search Guard installed?

···

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 8:14:18 AM UTC+2, Sven Bienert wrote:

Hello,

I would like to use this plugin as standalone so independent from the elasticsearch plugin. I would be pretty free in terms of authentication type. Is this possible? A workaround would also be okay like writing files and pretending the plugin was installed. Version is 5.6.7.

Thank you very much

Hello Jochen,

as this gets relevant to me again, I am answering now. So we have an Elasticsearch Cluster which cannot be touched by authorization or plugins because then most services that write into the cluster cannot anymore. One solution would be a dedicated cluster with the data in it that is needed and Searchguard normally installed but that would require hardware upgrades. I still want to have Kibana Authentication and if possible also access restrictions and other features of Searchguard on Elasticsearch. So it would be great if Searchguard kind of acts like a proxy and does not have a real impact on Elasticsearch itself. But I guess that is not how Searchguard is programmed and it would be a lot of effort to change Searchguard to work in a similar way, right?

Thanks

···

Am Freitag, 10. August 2018 11:15:19 UTC+2 schrieb Jochen Kressin:

This is not really feasible, although it is technically possible. You would need to re-implement all used endpoints in the routes.js files and mimick the JSONs usually returned by Search Guard. Why would you want to run it without Search Guard installed?

Hello,

Thank you very much

No, this is not possible at all. Search Guard integrates directly and deeply with Elasticsearch. For example, in order to being able to resolve index aliases, wildcards or date/math based indices, you need to have an Elasticsearch integration. Same goes for advanced stuff like document- and field level security. So a “proxy” mode would not really work.

···

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 5:27:43 AM UTC-4, Sven Bienert wrote:

Hello Jochen,

as this gets relevant to me again, I am answering now. So we have an Elasticsearch Cluster which cannot be touched by authorization or plugins because then most services that write into the cluster cannot anymore. One solution would be a dedicated cluster with the data in it that is needed and Searchguard normally installed but that would require hardware upgrades. I still want to have Kibana Authentication and if possible also access restrictions and other features of Searchguard on Elasticsearch. So it would be great if Searchguard kind of acts like a proxy and does not have a real impact on Elasticsearch itself. But I guess that is not how Searchguard is programmed and it would be a lot of effort to change Searchguard to work in a similar way, right?

Thanks

Am Freitag, 10. August 2018 11:15:19 UTC+2 schrieb Jochen Kressin:

Hello,

Thank you very much