Running search-guard ssl as a standalone

The search-guard documentation states that search-guard ssl can still be run as a standalone. However, the ssl page (https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-ssl/wiki) points to the new documentation, where the search-guard ssl plugin is installed in conjunction with the search-guard plugin. All I want is the ssl, not authorization and authentication. The documentation doesn’t state how to do this. The documentation says that in order to initialize, you must run the sgadmin tool–however, that tool is part of the search-guard plugin, not the search-guard ssl plugin. I tried just making the necessary changes to the the elasticsearch.yml, including the certificates and NOT running sgadmin tool–but then when I try to CURL the data, I get the “Search Guard not initialized…” error. So, could someone please tell me how I can run the search-guard ssl plugin. as a standalone without the search-guard plugin.

Yes, we don’t have many users that only want to install TLS, that’s why it’s not really explained in the docs.

Installing SSL only for ES5.x is exactly the same as for 2.x. Means, you install it from Maven, e.g.:

bin/elasticsearch-plugin install com.floragunn:search-guard-ssl:5.4.0-22

sgadmin and initializin the Search Guard index is only required if you use auth/auth. For TLS only, this is not needed. You just need to add the TLS configuration in elasicsearch.yml.

···

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 4:18:45 PM UTC+2, bigdata63@gmail.com wrote:

The search-guard documentation states that search-guard ssl can still be run as a standalone. However, the ssl page (https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-ssl/wiki) points to the new documentation, where the search-guard ssl plugin is installed in conjunction with the search-guard plugin. All I want is the ssl, not authorization and authentication. The documentation doesn’t state how to do this. The documentation says that in order to initialize, you must run the sgadmin tool–however, that tool is part of the search-guard plugin, not the search-guard ssl plugin. I tried just making the necessary changes to the the elasticsearch.yml, including the certificates and NOT running sgadmin tool–but then when I try to CURL the data, I get the “Search Guard not initialized…” error. So, could someone please tell me how I can run the search-guard ssl plugin. as a standalone without the search-guard plugin.