Search Guard Version : 6.3.0
Elastic Search version :6.3.0

Using Community Edition

Search guard kibana plugin 6.3.0.16
Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB
CPU cores: 2

I am curious about the time taken after the installation kibana plugin i.e in optimising and caching browser bundles .Why does it take more than an hour ?

This is my test server. I am having a bigger configuration on my Production server i.e: 16 GB RAM and 4 core CPU .So will it be taking that much time on that too?

This is a well-known and annoying issue with Kibana that we cannot fix. The webpack based optimization process sometimes takes ages, and sometimes would not return at all.

This is a Kibana internal process which affects basically all plugin authors, not just us. Unfortunately, you cannot customize/configure webpack, since most of the settings are hardcoded in Kibana. You will find a lot of questions regarding the optimization process on the Elasticsearch forum as well.

With 6.5.0 it seems Elastic will finally address some of these issues. For example, there is a switch now to control when the optimization process will run. However, it is unlikely they will backport those fixes. So, at the moment there is nothing we can do here.

···

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 12:57:49 PM UTC+1, ritesh.kumar@skilrock.com wrote:

Using Community Edition

Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB

I am curious about the time taken after the installation kibana plugin i.e in optimising and caching browser bundles .Why does it take more than an hour ?

This is my test server. I am having a bigger configuration on my Production server i.e: 16 GB RAM and 4 core CPU .So will it be taking that much time on that too?

See also here: https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard/issues/585#issuecomment-441597323

···

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 11:35:32 AM UTC+1, Jochen Kressin wrote:

This is a well-known and annoying issue with Kibana that we cannot fix. The webpack based optimization process sometimes takes ages, and sometimes would not return at all.

This is a Kibana internal process which affects basically all plugin authors, not just us. Unfortunately, you cannot customize/configure webpack, since most of the settings are hardcoded in Kibana. You will find a lot of questions regarding the optimization process on the Elasticsearch forum as well.

With 6.5.0 it seems Elastic will finally address some of these issues. For example, there is a switch now to control when the optimization process will run. However, it is unlikely they will backport those fixes. So, at the moment there is nothing we can do here.

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 12:57:49 PM UTC+1, ritesh.kumar@skilrock.com wrote:

Using Community Edition

Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB

If I increase my CPU Specs, is it possible then it may take less time?

···

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 4:05:32 PM UTC+5:30, Jochen Kressin wrote:

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 12:57:49 PM UTC+1, ritesh...@skilrock.com wrote:

Using Community Edition

Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB

I can’t tell. The optimization process is kind of unpredictable if you ask me. We have seen different behavior on the exact same EC2 instances over the course of the year. So unless Elastic gives us more control over the optimization process it is trial and error I am afraid :frowning:

···

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 11:52:24 AM UTC+1, ritesh.kumar@skilrock.com wrote:

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 12:57:49 PM UTC+1, ritesh...@skilrock.com wrote:

Using Community Edition

Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB

Thank you for your response…I will keep your words in mind …meanwhile would like to test this by increasing the hardware Specs…

···

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 4:26:55 PM UTC+5:30, Jochen Kressin wrote:

I can’t tell. The optimization process is kind of unpredictable if you ask me. We have seen different behavior on the exact same EC2 instances over the course of the year. So unless Elastic gives us more control over the optimization process it is trial and error I am afraid :frowning:

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 11:52:24 AM UTC+1, ritesh...@skilrock.com wrote:

Using Community Edition

Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB

maybe this can help with the optimization process: https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard/issues/601#issuecomment-444734702

···

Am 26.11.2018 um 12:10 schrieb ritesh.kumar@skilrock.com:

Thank you for your response....I will keep your words in mind ..meanwhile would like to test this by increasing the hardware Specs..

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 4:26:55 PM UTC+5:30, Jochen Kressin wrote:
I can't tell. The optimization process is kind of unpredictable if you ask me. We have seen different behavior on the exact same EC2 instances over the course of the year. So unless Elastic gives us more control over the optimization process it is trial and error I am afraid :frowning:

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 11:52:24 AM UTC+1, ritesh...@skilrock.com wrote:

Using Community Edition
Kibana version 6.3.0

System Specs:
RAM 4GB

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Search Guard Community Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to search-guard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to search-guard@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/search-guard/b3c72b19-a5dc-4e60-ae2b-6260a8e6d7a6%40googlegroups.com\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.