How to update Admin readonly flag to 'false' without updating all users/passwords

Hello,

I am using Searchguard 6.1.2:22.3(with a commercial license) with ES 6.1.2 and Kibana 6.1.2.

It is up an running and we don’t have any issue using it.

We have created many roles and users.

Now we would like to update Admin password. In order to do it, we need to modify the readonly flag for the admin.

I know that we can do that by updating sg_internalusers.yml and run sgadmin script again.

But if we do so we are going to lose all user/roles created by searchguard GUI.

How to do it without losing our users/roles?

thanks in advance,

TS

Hi,

you can use sgadmin to download the current SG configuration from a running cluster:

You can then change and re-apply the configuration files without losing any users/roles created with the GUI.

···

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:09:02 AM UTC-4, ts.plovdiv.04.2018@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I am using Searchguard 6.1.2:22.3(with a commercial license) with ES 6.1.2 and Kibana 6.1.2.

Now we would like to update Admin password. In order to do it, we need to modify the readonly flag for the admin.

I know that we can do that by updating sg_internalusers.yml and run sgadmin script again.

thanks in advance,

TS

Great, thanks a lot Jochen.
That is very useful information :slight_smile:

···

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 6:12:34 PM UTC+4, Jochen Kressin wrote:

Hi,

you can use sgadmin to download the current SG configuration from a running cluster:

https://docs.search-guard.com/latest/sgadmin#backup-and-restore

You can then change and re-apply the configuration files without losing any users/roles created with the GUI.

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:09:02 AM UTC-4, ts.plovdi...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

thanks in advance,

TS

is this valid for 5.5.2 as well?

···

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 3:14:12 PM UTC+4, ts.plovdi...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:09:02 AM UTC-4, ts.plovdi...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

thanks in advance,

TS

Yes, please refer to the v5 docs:

···

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 8:06:10 AM UTC-4, ts.plovdiv.04.2018@gmail.com wrote:

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 3:14:12 PM UTC+4, ts.plovdi...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Hello,

thanks in advance,

TS

thanks, it worked

···

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 2:49:57 AM UTC+4, Jochen Kressin wrote:

Yes, please refer to the v5 docs:

https://docs.search-guard.com/v5/sgadmin

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 8:06:10 AM UTC-4, ts.plovdi...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Hello,

thanks in advance,

TS