how do i install the 100% open source edition

i have a restriction where i can only install software that is apache licensed. as such i would like to install the community edition that is 100% open source. how do i do this?

note: installing the edition that includes the non-open source features and turning them off with:
searchguard.enterprise_modules_enabled: false
is not an option.

on a side note: i am not sure why anyone thinks this setup is acceptable. it means you are installing code that is not open source and not reviewed by the open source community.
anyone should want to install a version that has been compiled by the community a from pure open source codebase.

You have several options here:

1) Complie and build the plugin yourself. Thats one of the main benefits of open source software. Then you can exactly include what you want and exclude what is not sufficient
2) Download the precompiled enterprise zip and remove every jar file with start with "dlic" like described here Search Guard Documentation 404 | Security for Elasticsearch | Search Guard - Then its ASL2 only
3) If you're not happy with Search Guard just don't use it - write your own plugin, open source it, maintain it and stop nagging :slight_smile:
    (If you're happy with Search Guard please contribute (Code, Docs, Blog articles, Money donations, ... ))

The enteprise modules are not open source legally spoken (because they a have a non open source license) but the code is public available for review, see our github repos (like https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-authbackend-jwt\).
So the enterprise modules and the core/ssl modules are well reviewed by the community.

If you like to provide builds of the opren source plugin for the public good for every release we embrace this and are happy to assist you. But we decided, with the introduction of SG 6, to only provide prebuild binaries bundled with enterprise modules.
You can (as explained above) remove them if you dont want them or switch them off via configuration. This is whats fits for most interested parties and customers. Last but not least: Search Guard Open Source will only work if we receive contributions and
if we also make money with the enterprise modules, otherwise such a complex and feature rich product is not maintainable.

ยทยทยท

Am 31.01.2018 um 17:36 schrieb Koert Kuipers <koert@tresata.com>:

i have a restriction where i can only install software that is apache licensed. as such i would like to install the community edition that is 100% open source. how do i do this?

note: installing the edition that includes the non-open source features and turning them off with:
searchguard.enterprise_modules_enabled: false
is not an option.

on a side note: i am not sure why anyone thinks this setup is acceptable. it means you are installing code that is not open source and not reviewed by the open source community.
anyone should want to install a version that has been compiled by the community a from pure open source codebase.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Search Guard Community Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to search-guard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to search-guard@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/search-guard/1709b318-db87-4be3-a233-b90d4b11278b%40googlegroups.com\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.