Trying to understand the Searchguard/Elasticsearch REST-style privilege path

Searguard - v5.5.0-14

Elasticsearch - v5.5.0

I am trying to understand the Searchguard/Elasticsearch REST-style privilege path

The Searchguard documentation is missing to say how to give permission for a specific component.

I have gone through the Elasticsearch Shield privilege details but still, it didn’t answer my question.

For example,

“indices:data/write/bulk”

“indices:monitor/stats”

• I could understand these are indices level permission

• What data or admin means in the path? What are the other options I have?

• write says write permission on the indices. So I can change it to monitor/manage if required

Is there any Searchguard or Elasticsearch documentation am I missing here?

There is no official documentation from Elasticsearch on the privileges, and they might also change slightly from version to version. That’s why we recommend to use the action groups that are shipped with Search Guard. We keep those up to date for every release.

···

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 1:22:39 PM UTC+1, Gopinath Sabapathy wrote:

Searguard - v5.5.0-14

Elasticsearch - v5.5.0

I am trying to understand the Searchguard/Elasticsearch REST-style privilege path

The Searchguard documentation is missing to say how to give permission for a specific component.

I have gone through the Elasticsearch Shield privilege details but still, it didn’t answer my question.

For example,

“indices:data/write/bulk”

“indices:monitor/stats”

• I could understand these are indices level permission
  • What data or admin means in the path? What are the other options I have?
  • write says write permission on the indices. So I can change it to monitor/manage if required

Is there any Searchguard or Elasticsearch documentation am I missing here?