Search Guard User Permissions

Hello All,

My question I hope is pretty simple. I have Search Guard up and running on an ES cluster version 6.3.0.

Upon installation the first thing I did was create a user through the Search Guard GUI. I added the user to the admin backend role.

Once I login with this new user, in the discover tab I no longer see ‘bar graph’ at the top. Below are some pics. Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is how it normally looks:

This is how it looks with my new admin user:

The bar graph is missing, the Time field isn’t there, and the option to select the time/date in the top right corner is missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

This is pretty strange. Are you able to see the bar graph with the demo “admin” role? If this is the case then there must be something wrong with your newly created user.

Can you post the output of the SG authinfo endpoint with the new user here? This endpoint prints info about the currently logged in user. You can do that e.g. with curl:

curl --insecure -u user:pass -XGET “http(s)://hostname:9200/_searchguard/authinfo?pretty”

``

···

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 10:11:50 PM UTC+2, casperhxr@gmail.com wrote:

Hello All,

My question I hope is pretty simple. I have Search Guard up and running on an ES cluster version 6.3.0.

Upon installation the first thing I did was create a user through the Search Guard GUI. I added the user to the admin backend role.

Once I login with this new user, in the discover tab I no longer see ‘bar graph’ at the top. Below are some pics. Does anyone know how to fix this?

The bar graph is missing, the Time field isn’t there, and the option to select the time/date in the top right corner is missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Here is the output of the curl command as requested using my new created user:

{
“name” : “t-elastic-01”,
“cluster_name” : “es_cluster”,
“cluster_uuid” : “hzebpG5fTeO_7gkiyHA3Bg”,
“version” : {
“number” : “6.3.0”,
“build_flavor” : “default”,
“build_type” : “deb”,
“build_hash” : “424e937”,
“build_date” : “2018-06-11T23:38:03.357887Z”,
“build_snapshot” : false,
“lucene_version” : “7.3.1”,
“minimum_wire_compatibility_version” : “5.6.0”,
“minimum_index_compatibility_version” : “5.0.0”
},
“tagline” : “You Know, for Search”
}

···

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 3:08:10 AM UTC-6, Jochen Kressin wrote:

This is pretty strange. Are you able to see the bar graph with the demo “admin” role? If this is the case then there must be something wrong with your newly created user.

Can you post the output of the SG authinfo endpoint with the new user here? This endpoint prints info about the currently logged in user. You can do that e.g. with curl:

curl --insecure -u user:pass -XGET “http(s)://hostname:9200/_searchguard/authinfo?pretty”

``

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 10:11:50 PM UTC+2, casp...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello All,

Thank you!!!

Well… since no one has an answer, does anyone know what the bar graph is called so I can look this up more

···

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-6, casp...@gmail.com wrote:

{
},
}

``

Hello All,

Thank you!!!

Hum, that is the output of a call against http//esnode:9200/ which prints out basic ES information. The output of of the authinfo endpoint should be something like:

curl --insecure -u admin:admin -XGET “https://sgssl-0.example.com:9200/_searchguard/authinfo?pretty

{

“user” : “User [name=admin, roles=[admin], requestedTenant=null]”,

“user_name” : “admin”,

“user_requested_tenant” : null,

“remote_address” : “127.0.0.1:54827”,

“backend_roles” : [

“admin”

],

“custom_attribute_names” : [

“attr.internal.attribute1”,

“attr.internal.attribute2”,

“attr.internal.attribute3”

],

“sg_roles” : [

“sg_all_access”,

“sg_own_index”

],

“sg_tenants” : {

“admin_tenant” : true,

“admin” : true

},

“principal” : null,

“peer_certificates” : “0”,

“sso_logout_url” : null

}

``

···

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:24:05 PM UTC+2, casperhxr@gmail.com wrote:

{
},
}

``

Hello All,

Thank you!!!

Interesting… Well it’s sure looking like a permission error. I’ll look into more, but might not get to it until after the weekend. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thank you for your response.

···

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 1:48:38 PM UTC-6, Jochen Kressin wrote:

Hum, that is the output of a call against http//esnode:9200/ which prints out basic ES information. The output of of the authinfo endpoint should be something like:

curl --insecure -u admin:admin -XGET “https://sgssl-0.example.com:9200/_searchguard/authinfo?pretty

{

“admin”

],

],

“sg_all_access”,

“sg_own_index”

],

},

}

``

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:24:05 PM UTC+2, casp...@gmail.com wrote:

{
},
}

``

Hello All,

Thank you!!!

If it is a permission problem then you would also see some entries in the elastic log file when opening the page in Kibana. If there is anything in the logs, please post it.

···

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 8:20:17 PM UTC+2, casperhxr@gmail.com wrote:

Interesting… Well it’s sure looking like a permission error. I’ll look into more, but might not get to it until after the weekend. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thank you for your response.

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 1:48:38 PM UTC-6, Jochen Kressin wrote:

{

“admin”

],

],

“sg_all_access”,

“sg_own_index”

],

},

}

``

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:24:05 PM UTC+2, casp...@gmail.com wrote:

{
},
}

``

Hello All,

Thank you!!!