Search Guard Kibana Plugin ALPHA released

Hi,

as many of you already noticed, Kibana basically stopped supporting HTTP Basic Authentication from version 5.0.2 onwards. This also breaks the Search Guard integration.

We’ve decided to release our own Kibana plugin, to better support Search Guard in future. We’ve just put out an alpha release for 5.0.2, 5.1.1 and 4.6.0 (for those that are still on 2.4.x).

The plugin adds a login screen and also a logout button, so now you can end your Kibana session properly. It should also fix the problem that you have to authenticate again when switching between apps, say Kibana and Timelion.

It’s still in an early stage, but as always we encourage you to try it out and give us feedback in case something is not working. We’ve tested it internally, but of course, there might be some bugs lurking around. Let us also know if you have any feature request!

You can find the repository here:

You can either build the plugin on your own (build.sh provided) or just grab the alpha versions from the release page:

Thanks for your support and feedback!

Jochen and the Search Guard team

Hey there,

I tested the addon and it’s working on my end with basic auth. I tried to test it with LDAP as well, but I’m having some separate ldap plugin problems, so I will do that later when I resolve the problem.

Thanks for the plugin.

Matej

···

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:50:51 PM UTC+1, Jochen Kressin wrote:

Hi,

as many of you already noticed, Kibana basically stopped supporting HTTP Basic Authentication from version 5.0.2 onwards. This also breaks the Search Guard integration.

We’ve decided to release our own Kibana plugin, to better support Search Guard in future. We’ve just put out an alpha release for 5.0.2, 5.1.1 and 4.6.0 (for those that are still on 2.4.x).

The plugin adds a login screen and also a logout button, so now you can end your Kibana session properly. It should also fix the problem that you have to authenticate again when switching between apps, say Kibana and Timelion.

It’s still in an early stage, but as always we encourage you to try it out and give us feedback in case something is not working. We’ve tested it internally, but of course, there might be some bugs lurking around. Let us also know if you have any feature request!

You can find the repository here:

https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-kibana-plugin

You can either build the plugin on your own (build.sh provided) or just grab the alpha versions from the release page:

https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-kibana-plugin/releases

Thanks for your support and feedback!

Jochen and the Search Guard team

Hi,

Does this plugin also allow choosing the kibana index?
I know Wataru Takase wrote such a plugin but I think it would make sense to integrate this into SearchGuard. I’d be surprised if this weren’t a common use-case: what good is security if everyone has to share dashboards?