today we are super-proud to announce the release of the first beta version of Search Guard 6! We have a lot to tell you this time, and we hope that you love the new features and improvements as much as we do!
Since I guess you first want to know what has changed, have a look at the longest changelog for Search Guard we ever put together:
You may have noticed that the changelog is not published on GitHub anymore. We will consolidate all Search Guard related resources during the next couple of weeks, and release everything under a dedicated, unified domain. This will be your one-stop shop for everything Search Guard, so no more jumping around between sites!
Before this is completed, you can already access the updated documentation for Search Guard 6 directly on GitHub:
One of the major changes is that in future we will ship the Enterprise Edition of Search Guard by default, including all modules with their correct version. No need to download and install them separately anymore. The free Community Edition will absolutely stay a first-class citizen, and you can enable it by setting a switch in the configuration. The Search Guard Kibana plugin (now including the awesome configuration GUI) will be published on Maven Central beginning with 6.0.0-6.beta1.
There are a lot of bigger and smaller changes, but you might want to check out some of my personal favorites:
- We’ve added role-based access to the REST management API, with fine-grained access control if you need it
- We’ve built the Kibana based Search Guard config GUI on top of that, which detects your access privileges automatically. Zero-conf in kibana.yml!
- You can now use many additional user attributes, such as JWT claims or LDAP attributes in index names and DLS queries
- This makes it possible to build ultra-flexible access control schemas based directly on user attributes
- The Audit Log module has been reworked with many new features and improvements
- And, last not least, installing Search Guard is as simple as it gets due to the improved demo installer
There are a ton of other features, and we’ve added more security and performance improvements under the hood as well, so why not give our new baby a try?
The official versions of Search Guard and the Kibana plugin are:
Of course, the usual word of warning: This software is beta, so do not use in production!
We would love to get your feedback, suggestions and bug reports on this beta version, so please comment or ask questions here on Google Groups, or open a ticket on our GitHub Issue tracker if something is not working for you. The GA release of Search Guard 6 is already on the horizon!
Thanks for all your support during this year, it has been an awesome ride!
Jochen and the Search Guard team
Search Guard (®) is an Elasticsearch plugin that offers encryption, authentication, and authorization, coded with love in Germany, Denmark, Sweden and the US.
It builds on Search Guard SSL and provides pluggable auth/auth modules in addition.
Search Guard is a trademark of floragunn GmbH, registered in the U.S. and in other countries.
Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats are trademarks of Elasticsearch BV, registered in the U.S. and in other countries.
floragunn GmbH is not affiliated with Elasticsearch BV.