How to initialize SG using sgctl?

Hi,

I am struggeling to find the exact command to initialize my cluster using SG FLX.

I executed ./sgctl.sh connect, but still have in my logs:

Not yet initialized (you may need to run sgctl)

The documentation leads me to here: Using sgctl | Security for Elasticsearch | Search Guard.

Can you help me please?

Also I see logs like:

.searchguard_authtokens is not yet ready

basically for all .searchguard* indices I guess.

I am implementing a hot warm architecture of 3 master, 2 hot, 2 warm nodes. Do I need to disable automatic sharding and configure replica shards manually for every internal search guard index?

@Kosmonafft As per Search Guard documentation you need to upload the configuration to initialize all .searchguard indices.

1 Like

Hi @pablo . Thanks for the response. Got it.

What about using SG in a hot/warm architecture? Seems like my cluster does not start because of unassigned shards for a range of searchguard indices. How can proceed here? Adjust the shards manually for every single searchguard index or is there another way of dealing with that?

Thanks

@Kosmonafft Could you share your current shards and indices? ( _cat/indices, _cat/shards)

When I execute:

curl https://elastic1.node.com:9200/_cat/indices -k

I got:

Search Guard not initialized (SG11)

and in the logs I see:

[2023-01-24T14:12:10,929][ERROR][c.f.s.c.ProtectedConfigIndexService] [elastic1.node.com] Index .signals_watches is not yet ready:
{"cluster_name":"es-cluster","status":"red","timed_out":true,"number_of_nodes":7,"number_of_data_nodes":4,"active_primary_shards":0,"active_shards":0,"relocating_shards":0,"initializing_shards":0,"unassigned_shards":10,"delayed_unassigned_shards":0,"number_of_pending_tasks":0,"number_of_in_flight_fetch":0,"task_max_waiting_in_queue_millis":0,"active_shards_percent_as_number":13.793103448275861}
Retrying.
[2023-01-24T14:13:41,245][ERROR][c.f.s.c.ProtectedConfigIndexService] [elastic1.node.com] Index .searchguard_sessions is not yet ready:
{"cluster_name":"es-cluster","status":"red","timed_out":true,"number_of_nodes":7,"number_of_data_nodes":4,"active_primary_shards":0,"active_shards":0,"relocating_shards":0,"initializing_shards":0,"unassigned_shards":2,"delayed_unassigned_shards":0,"number_of_pending_tasks":0,"number_of_in_flight_fetch":0,"task_max_waiting_in_queue_millis":0,"active_shards_percent_as_number":13.793103448275861}
Retrying.
[2023-01-24T14:14:11,333][ERROR][c.f.s.c.ProtectedConfigIndexService] [elastic1.node.com] Index .searchguard_resource_owner is not yet ready:
{"cluster_name":"es-cluster","status":"red","timed_out":true,"number_of_nodes":7,"number_of_data_nodes":4,"active_primary_shards":0,"active_shards":0,"relocating_shards":0,"initializing_shards":0,"unassigned_shards":2,"delayed_unassigned_shards":0,"number_of_pending_tasks":0,"number_of_in_flight_fetch":0,"task_max_waiting_in_queue_millis":0,"active_shards_percent_as_number":13.793103448275861}

@Kosmonafft How did you start your cluster? Did data nodes start first?
Is this a new cluster?

Please share elasticsearch.yml files.

I guess I found what have caused the issue:

on my hot and warm data nodes I had configured:

node.roles: [ data_hot, ingest ] and node.roles: [ data_warm ]

I learned that I have missed that data_content role must also be added to the data nodes. So correct configuration is:

node.roles: [ data_hot, data_content, ingest ] and node.roles: [ data_warm, data_content ]

After applying these changes SG could be successfully initialized and the cluster runs.

However, since I have 2 hot nodes and 2 warm nodes:

• How search guard will behave? how many shards it will create?
  • How should I configure the sharding for the internal indices? Should I always keep them according to the number of my hot nodes?
  • Should I apply the manual sharding configuration on every internal search guard index?
  • Or should I not bother with that at all?

Thanks for any advice

@Kosmonafft The data_content is the default tier preference when creating any index in the Elasticsearch cluster.

@Kosmonafft In regards to your questions, please find some more information in regard to SearchGuard indices and cluster configuration.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.