How Can I disable or change the password for built-in accounts?

I’m getting Search Guard all set up and everything is working so far.

But I need to either disable or change the password to the built-in accounts, since leaving them unchanged does represent a security risk.

I’ve tried manually changing the hash, or even commenting out the entry for the user in sg_internal_users.yml, but that doesn’t seem to work.

What am I missing?

I’ve got additional questions.

I’ve added a user through the GUI, but that user does not show up in sg_internal_users.yml

It seems as though that file is just a template.

Given that, how can new users/roles be provisioned or changed without using the GUI? (We will need to use the Community version of Search Guard at this time).

···

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 9:58:13 AM UTC-6, John Barnard wrote:

But I need to either disable or change the password to the built-in accounts, since leaving them unchanged does represent a security risk.

I’ve tried manually changing the hash, or even commenting out the entry for the user in sg_internal_users.yml, but that doesn’t seem to work.

What am I missing?

See section “The Search Guard index” in the docs:

The Search Guard configuration is stored in an Elasticsearch index. This allows for hot-reloading the config without the need to restart any Elasticsearch node. Changes to the Search Guard configuration index need to made via:

Changes are stored in the SG configuration index in Elasticsearch directly. In this sense you are right, the demo configuration we ship is a template that you can use as a blueprint to set up your own users, roles and permissions.

···

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 9:52:37 PM UTC+1, John Barnard wrote:

I’ve got additional questions.

I’ve added a user through the GUI, but that user does not show up in sg_internal_users.yml

It seems as though that file is just a template.

Given that, how can new users/roles be provisioned or changed without using the GUI? (We will need to use the Community version of Search Guard at this time).

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 9:58:13 AM UTC-6, John Barnard wrote:

What am I missing?