How are roles combined?

We noticed a case where one of a user’s role masked another. The user was able to search in one index only if we removed the other roles.

The documentation states the following :

A request can be assigned to one or more Search Guard roles. If a request is mapped to more than one role, the permissions of these roles are combined.

I understand two things from this sentence :

1. An http request e.g. a _search can be assigned to one specific role
  2. If no role is specified in the request, all roles will be merged

So that raises two questions the answers to which I didn’t find :

a. How can one specify the role to be used in the request ?
b. How is the merge done ?

How did your roles look like? Also, on which version of Search Guard did you observe the behavior?

If roles don’t use DLS, FLS or exclude_* rules, roles should work in a purely additive fashion. Thus, in such a case, the behavior you observed should not happen. If it does, it would indicate a bug.

Only DLS, FLS and exclude_* rules use different logics:

As soon as a user has a role with an exclude_* rule for a specific permission, they cannot gain this permission via any other role. An exclude_* rule thus takes precedence over anything else.

For DLS, it depends on the version and configuration: For Search Guard FLX, DLS is also supposed to be additive. As soon as a user has a role without any DLS restrictions for a particular index, they get full access despite any other DLS rules. If a user has several roles with DLS restrictions, these are “or’ed” together.

For older versions, the behavior was dependent on the configuration. See for details:

For FLS, you can choose whether you design your rules in an additive or subtractive fashion by choosing either field inclusion rules or exclusion rules.

I believe this is not the correct interpretation. There is no way to choose a role to be used for a request. When processing a request, Search Guard kind of follow these rules:

• First, determine the effective roles. The effective roles are a union of:
    • For all configured role mappings: Keys of the role mapping rules that match the current user based on backend roles, user name, host IP.
    • If the user comes from the internal user database: All roles specified in the attribute search_guard_roles
  • Determine required privileges for request
  • For each of the required privileges:
    • For each of the effective roles:
      • Check whether an exclusion matches the request. If yes: Abort with 403.
    • For each of the effective roles:
      • If effective role grants the privilege, mark the privilege as available for the current request
  • If all privileges are marked as available: pass request
  • Otherwise: abort

Note: In reality, other algorithms are employed. Also DLS/FLS makes it a bit more complicated.

1 Like

Thanks @nils for this thorough explanation! We’re using 7.10.2-53.1.0 and the roles I was referring to were using both fls and dls. Moreover we have the default value for searchguard.dfm_empty_overrides_all which is false if I understood correctly. This explains the behaviour I was seeing, thank you !

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.